Tuesday, February 17, 2009

the JAMS...3 Records I refuse to live without.

What up, all? Oh, me?...I'm just chillin'. Cranking up some tunage. Enough of that.

The subject of this weekly Keith is...My favorite jams. The title probably told you that, but I felt the need to reiterate what I was preparing to blab about.

Record numbah 1

Slayer - South of Heaven (1988)
The high-point of the sheer wall of awesome that is Slayer. I think when they were making this record, they decided that they were going to make every song be as evil as possible. Really, you could say this about every Slayer record, but this one is really fucking evil. That opening riff...Man, every time I hear it, I fear for my soul.



Seriously, don't you feel like Satan was looking right at you when that riff started? So badass.
Mandatory Suicide is the shit as well, and the Judas Priest cover Dissident Aggressor is also really awesome. Fuck it, this entire record will stomp your face off. Really...Just LISTEN TO SLAYER!!!

B.)

At The Drive-In -- Relationship of Command (2000)
Not as evil as Slayer, not really evil at all...but it's pretty fast and energetic. I've listened to this record constantly for quite a while, and I'm blown away by how great it is. ATDI, as those in the know are known to abbreviate their name, are a pretty awesome hardcore band from Texas...were a pretty awesome hardcore band. Unfortunately, they broke up. Their remnants made two really superb bands you may have heard of...Sparta and The Mars Volta...How awesome is a band, that when they split, they create 2 really fucking awesome bands? They're like...some sort of Rock Amoeba, splitting into infinite bodies of the Rock. Seriously, don't believe me?



I know, right...Awesome song. 4:49 on still makes me flip my shit. Cosmonaut, and Rolodex Propaganda (featuring Iggy Pop) are also massively awesome.

Another thing about this record...These lyrics are, like, the most bizaare lyrics ever. I really don't have any idea what most of these songs are about, but I'm sure they're about something.

III)

Lamb of God - As The Palaces Burn (2003)
Jug-Jug-Jug, super fast...Super fast. Insane super awesome guitars...mind melting guitars. Randy Blythe growling like a hungry Rottweiler...This record wants to kill you. It will try. If you survive, you are worthy. If you don't, well...you don't. That's the risk you take. I survived, and can honestly tell you that this is one of the best metal records to ever be unleashed onto the public, least of all to say the best metal record of the new century.



It's political, it's loud, and it doesn't give a fuck what you think. I know that may not sound like something you'd be interested in, but trust me as the last track, Vigil, ends, you will not regret it.
--

So, there you have it. 3 records that I refuse to ever stop listening to. Sure there are more, but those are the ones that I felt like talking about. If you expected some in-depth musical dissection, well...you came to the wrong place. I don't do in-depth. I do hyperbole. I do simple. So, there. Take that. Put that in your pipe and pipe bomb it. I'll just keep going. You want me to? Cuz I will.

1 comment:

Paul said...

Hmmm...I REALLY want to listen to these right now, but my possible relative proximity to Nuns probably will keep me from listening to all but possibly the ATDI song.

I'm going to have to check out Lamb of God, because I never have, and it hurts my soul a little to not have heard them. Either that, or I have gas, not sure which.